Sometimes it feels like work moves about as slow as molasses.
In some ways, this is pretty literally true, since my primary project is with
rice growing techniques. There is only so much talking that can be done before
you just have to get out and plant something, then wait for it to grow.
In April 2012 I accompanied the group of new trainees on their
technical trip, visiting partners and learning the technical skills they will
need at their sites. We saw Parc Ivoloina, which has a great environmental
education facility in place and runs many programs with local children. I
wondered why Mitsinjo didn’t do something similar, since Andasibe also has a forest and kids. Seems like a natural fit.
Aha! I had found my secondary project to keep me busy until it
was time to plant rice again.
Fast-forward to February 2013, our opening ceremony for the
official Mitsinjo Environmental education program. Turns out it’s not easy to
start a large program that will be a permanent addition to an already busy
organization. Who knew? Apparently lots of people, just not me. No matter, it
worked out.
Just to brag a bit for our team of volunteers, for the last 4
months they have been teaching twice a month at 7 primary schools in the
Andasibe area. They go in pairs, and rotate through all the schools. It was
great, and I’m really proud of them.
Just to clarify – I like kids, and I like the environment, but
that doesn’t mean I’m good at teaching the one about the other. So I help them
with organization and curriculum development, and leave the teaching to those
who are good at it.
It’s been a lot of work and a lot of fun, and the program is
running! I couldn’t be happier.
Looking back it seems dumb to think setting up any project, no
matter how small, could go quickly when it involves children AND Malagasy
education officials AND relies on people with full time jobs volunteering their
time AND has no funding.
No, it did not go quickly. But while that may have driven me
crazy at times, I think you do need to take time to actually set up a solid
program. I don’t know why I didn’t just think “oh, I should do environmental
education in my village for the next year.” That would have been simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment