Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'm leaving, on a jet plane



Two days until I head for Philly to stay with Anandi. Then I'll meet up with my staging group (the other Peace Corps volunteers I'll be going with, 48 in total) on the 27th, icebreakers and vaccinations (woohoo) the 28th, then fly to Johannesburg and on to Madagascar! 

We arrive in the capital, Antananarivo (Tana for short) and will be met by Peace Corps staff and taken to our Pre Service Training (PST). A quick overview from the PC: 


You will have one home stay family for the first four weeks of the training. Week Five will be a technical field visit in your program specific area. You will finish off your training (Weeks 6-9) at our PC Training Center. In addition to the local staff residing at our PCTC, Peace Corps staff from Tana will be traveling to the training center on a weekly basis to meet with you, facilitate sessions, and assess how the program is going and to address specific trainee issues.

Your pre-service training will be an intensive program that includes training in Malagasy, culture and cross-cultural communication, technical sessions related to your primary project, and personal health and safety.


During PST, internet will be limited, so I probably won't be in touch at all, unless it is by snail mail. My address will be the following until I am assigned a site with a new address. 

1 comment: